Youth is a period of life which is of utmost importance in the life of man. First, man’s entire life is rooted in his early years. The morals and beliefs, range of interests, education, health and habits are all laid in childhood and youth, the personality is shaped. Second, youth is a time when a person is trying to find his place in the world.
This period is usually associated with problems: young people ‘struggle’ to fit themselves into society. Difficult decisions and adjustments face young people in today’s society. There are several problems the young generation face. They are the eternal problems of choosing a career and getting education, the problem of independence and money, the problem of unemployment of young people, the generation gap. Young people have many problems of emotional and personal character which may look silly and unimportant in the eyes of grown-ups but appear to be extremely important to the young.
They are the problems of friendship and loneliness, as well as the problem of the first love. Probably the most vital problem is choosing a career, which is really difficult. One thing that makes it so difficult is the responsibility you have to take on – it is widely known that your future life depends on the choice made early in life when your personal experience is not so great.
Sometimes you may even be not quite certain about the field of knowledge you are interested in. The second reason is that to make this choice you have to get some idea of the labour market and job opportunities. Third, there are parents who usually have their own idea of your future career and, in many cases, try to make their child choose the career path they prefer. Perhaps one of the most fundamental problems faced by young people today is unemployment.
Young people today have certain needs and aspirations. Because of the universal downturn in the economy combined with technology when particular jobs and
skills are made obsolete, many youths today are experiencing problems in obtaining jobs. Unemployment means financial worries, frustration and discouragement. To solve the problem of unemployment, young people should strive for higher education.
Then they would be qualified for skilled labour required by industrialized society. Another problem facing young people today is the tension which exists between parents and children, or the ‘generation gap’. In their eagerness to achieve adult status and live their own life, young people may resent any restrictions. They believe that their parents are overanxious and overprotective, which usually creates tension.
The ‘generation gap’ problem is really inevitable. Firstly, every generation is unique in its experience, and young people have always rejected or at least questioned the values of their parents. They have always wanted to learn from their own experience, not from their parents’ standards.
Secondly, every younger generation tends to be more educated and better-informed than the previous one; they grow more quickly and enjoy freedom more. Thirdly, parents tend to aggravate the situation: they try to impose their ideas upon their children. It results in young people’s revolt against adult authority. Parents should exercise control over young people, and try to overcome the differences but with sympathy and understanding. An area which poses a problem for young people and their parents is love and dating.
Some parents today are prepared to give their children some freedom, others are overprotective, restricting their children from going out with the opposite sex. Thus, many young people today can’t get the valuable experience of adjusting to other people. Many youths may not be mature enough to cope with such problems, that is why they go in the direction of crime, drugs, vandalism, drinking etc.
Often young people are forced either consciously or unconsciously to become involved in those antisocial activities by people of their own age group. Moreover, they compensate for their feelings by revolting against society and adult authority. The second one is the problem of friendship.
Youth is the time when a person is vulnerable to opinions of different people, especially to the opinions of his peer group. Another problem is problem of love and dating. Some parents are democratic in this respect, and allow their children considerable freedom in their relations with the opposite sex.
Others are overprotective and forbid their teenage children to go out with people they like, which, in my opinion, can result in many psychological problems as they prevent their children from getting an experience of communicating with representatives of the opposite sex, and this can lead to serious family problems later. Grown-ups should work together with young people to help them solve these problems. We must remember that the young people are the leaders of tomorrow.
For me, the most important and difficult problem is that of friendship. Firstly, in spite of the fact I have some conflicts with my parents, I have always known they love me, and I love them, too, and will always do my best to help them and make them happy. Friends are people whose trust and affection you have to win; friendship is art for me. Secondly, my friends normally are my peers, we have common interests, likes and dislikes, so having friends is of utter importance to me. As to dating and love, I don’t think much about it yet.
I think I have to solve the problems which seem most important to me at the moment, that is choosing the career and entering the university I have chosen.
Translate the following sentences into English.
1. Юность имеет первостепенное значение в жизни человека, поскольку вся его последующая жизнь основывается на раннем периоде; мораль и убеждения, круг интересов, образование, здоровье, привычки закладываются в детстве и юности. 2. Молодое поколение сталкивается со многими проблемами, такими, как вечные проблемы выбора карьеры и получения образования, проблемой независимости и денег, безработицы, проблемой отцов и детей, дружбы и одиночества, первой любви и многими другими. 3. Наиболее важной проблемой является выбор карьеры, которая очень трудна, так как человеку приходится брать на себя ответственность, для которой у него недостаточно личного опыта, знания рынка труда и возможности найти работу. 4. Безработица – одна из наиболее фундаментальных проблем, с которыми сталкиваются молодые люди из-за общего кризиса в экономике и развития техники.
5. Безработица означает финансовые проблемы, фрустрацию и разочарование; чтобы ее избежать, молодые люди должны стремиться получить высшее образование и подготовку, необходимую для квалифицированного труда. 6. В своем желании достичь статуса взрослых молодые люди могут отрицать любые ограничения и восставать против авторитета взрослых, отвергая или ставя под сомнение их ценности. 7. Многие родители чересчур опекают своих детей и запрещают им встречаться с представителями противоположного пола.
8. Многие молодые люди не настолько зрелы, чтобы справиться с этими проблемами; они идут на совершение антиобщественных действий, таких, как нарушение закона, употребление наркотиков, вандализм, злоупотребление алкоголем. 9. Самая сложная проблема для меня – это проблема дружбы, поскольку мне приходится завоевывать доверие и любовь друзей. Это очень важно, так как нас объединяют общие интересы и вкусы.
1. Youth is of utmost importance in man’s life as his entire life is rooted in his early years; the morals and beliefs, range of interests, education, health and habits are laid in childhood and youth. 2. The young generation face a lot of problems, such as the eternal problems of choosing a career and getting education, the problem of independence and money, unemployment, generation gap, friendship and loneliness, the first love and many others. 3. The most vital problem is choosing a career, which is very difficult as you have to take on the responsibility for which you don’t have enough personal experience and knowledge of the labour market and job opportunities. 4. Unemployment is one of the most fundamental problems faced by young people due to the universal downturn in the economy and technology. 5. Unemployment means financial worries, frustration and discouragement; to avoid it young people should strive for higher education and be qualified for skilled labour.
6. In their eagerness to achieve adult status, young people may resent any restrictions and revolt against adult authority, rejecting or questioning their values. 7. Many parents are overprotective and restrict their children from going out with the opposite sex. 8. Many youths are not mature enough to cope with these problems and go in the direction of antisocial activities, such as crime, drugs, vandalism, drinking.
9. For me, the most difficult problem is that of friendship, as I have to win my friends’ trust and affection. It’s very important as we have common interests, likes and dislikes.
Из пособия “ЕГЭ. Английский язык. Устные темы” Занина Е. Л. (2010, 272с.) – Part one. English examination topics.