Marriage is a huge commitment and many times people rush into without thinking. This decision should be made through a lot of thought and soul searching. Also you need to make sure you know your partner well enough to make the commitment in the first place.
Spend some time getting to know who the other on is. Participate in activities together. Meet each other`s friends and families. Have long talks with each other. Discuss job and personal goals so you know what each of you want in life.
There is so much information you should know before getting married. Too much to just accidentally find it out about your partner. You will have to resort to asking questions to learn some of it. Asking these questions can be fun if you do it the right way.
Just throw a few questions in every so many minutes throughout your conversation. Make this flow natural in what you are talking about though. Then your partner will not fill put on the spot.
Come up with questions that give
you the answer you need though. You don`t want frivolous fun questions here. The questions you want to ask get to the heart of who your partner is. Below are just some of the questions to ask your partner to see if he is the right marriage partner for you…
1. Have you had a physical lately to make sure you are totally healthy? You may not think this is important but it is.
2. What do you think of prenuptial agreements? Are you for or against them?
3. Will you want to make a family with me after we have been married for a while? If so how many children would you like to have? These are two questions you need to be in sync with.
4. What is your financial situation at present? Where do you plan for it to be in 10 years? You need to know if your partner has any bad debts because you will be sharing in the problem after you are married.
5. Who do you think should handle the checkbook in our marriage? You could also add that you think it should be jointly handled so your partner knows your side of this.
6. Do you want to get a bigger place after we get married? This is especially important if your partner`s place and yours is small.
7. Do you feel comfortable sharing a closet with me? Some people have strange closet habits.
8. Will you feel comfortable with a large wedding ceremony and elaborate reception? Your partner may want a small affair while you want a big one, compromise is the key here.
9. Your bad or mine, which one will we sleep in? The other can of course be kept in the guest room if you have one?
10. Do you snore, if so, how loud? You may have to buy some earplugs!
11. How do you physically make love? Sex is bound to come up sooner or later you might as well discuss it and see what the other one thinks about it.
12. Are you close with your family like I am with mine? (Or if you are estranged from your family, ask that instead of your partner). You will need to know how much you will need to interact with each other`s family. That is part of marriage too.
13. Do you believe in us even cleaning the house together? The woman needs to know if the man is willing to do his part with the household chores.
14. Are you a heavy drinker, smoker, or drug user (prescription or illegal)? Hopefully your partner should be honest about this. You should have spent time together to know the answer to this questions already though.
15. How deeply do you actually love me? Love is important, but even more important is the question, do you like me?
16. What do you like to do when you are not working? Do you like to be active or just stay home?