There is a traditional subdivision of music into classical, folk and pop music. People of different ages usually prefer listening to different styles of music, which can probably be explained by psychological qualities of each age group. Young people normally prefer to listen to different styles of popular music which include rock music, hip-hop music, rhythm and blues, jazz and many others. Rock, or rock’n’roll is a form of popular music, usually featuring vocals, electric guitars, a bass guitar and a strong back beat.
The genre of rock is broad, sometimes even soul is included into. It is a genre of music that emerged in the USA in the 1950s. It has been the most popular music genre until the 1990s. Hip hop music, also referred to as rap music is made of two main components: rapping and DJing (audio mixing and scratching) and is an element of hip hop, a cultural movement that was initiated by city youth. Typically, hip hop music consists of one or more rappers who tell semi-autobiographic tales in a rhythmic lyrical form using alliteration and rhyme.
The rapper is accompanied by an instrumental track, a beat, performed by a DJ and created by a producer and one or more instrumentalists. In addition to the beat other sounds are often synthesised or performed. Rhythm and blues combines jazz and blues, now means the modern version of the soul and funk and was influenced by African American pop music. Country music is a combination of popular musical forms developed in the Southern United States, with roots in traditional folk music, Celtic music and blues.
It actually embraces several different genres of music. Reggae is based upon a rhythm style which is characterised by regular chops on the back beat, known as bang, played by a rhythm guitarist and a bass drum hitting on the third beat of each measure. Psychedelic music, of which acid rock is a form, is a musical style attempting to replicate the experience of drugs.
lyrics often describing dreams and visions, lengthy instrumental solos, and electronic effects. Techno is a form if electronic music that emerged 1980s and is based on instrumentation and beats per minute. Punk rock has fast tempos, its songs are normally about two and a half minutes in length, but sometimes are only twenty seven seconds. Instrumentation includes drums, one or two electric guitars, an electric bass, and vocals.
Punk vocals are usually nasal or throaty. Jazz is an original American musical art form which emerged in the 1920s in New Orleans, and is a combination of Western music and African American techniques. It is characterized by syncopation, swing and improvisation. Typical instruments are a saxophone, a trumpet, a trombone, a piano, guitars, drums, and vocals. Blues is a form of music which appeared in the United States in the communities of former African slaves from spirituals and other types of African music.
It is characterised by call-and-response patterns in music and lyrics. As for me, I can’t say I prefer to listen to some definite kind of music all the time. The choice of music I listen to depends on my state of mind and mood. I can tell you what kind of music I prefer to listen to when I feel depressed, and it is jazz.
The first reason why I do it is that jazz music usually has a powerful rhythm, so it is a kind of music that fills you with energy and strength. Secondly, it provides a brilliant combination of instrumental tunes and voice, which creates unforgettable harmony. Jazz immediately carries me away from my troubles, fills me with hope and joy, even though its tunes are often sad.
Translate the following sentences into English.
1. Существует традиционное подразделение музыки на классическую, народную и поп музыку; молодые люди обычно слушают различные стили поп-музыки, в том числе рок, хип-хоп, ритм-энд-блюз, джаз и т. д. 2. Жанр рока отличают вокал, электрогитары, бас-гитара и сильный фоновый ритм; рок возник в США в 50-е годы XX века. 3. Хип-хоп, который часто называют рэпом, состоит из рэпа и партии диджея, он был создан городской молодежью. 4. Рэпперы обычно рассказывают полуавтобиографические истории в форме ритмического стиха, что сопровождается инструментальным треком и ритмом, который исполняет диджей, а часто и другими звуками, которые синтезируются или исполняются.
5. Ритм-энд-блюз – это современная версия соула и фанка, он испытал на себе влияние афро-американский поп-музыки. 6. Музыка кантри уходит корнями в традиционную народную музыку, рэгги основан на ритмическом стиле, который характеризуют регулярно повторяющиеся сильные удары на фоне ритма, выполняемые бас-гитаристом, и ударными, вступающими на каждой третьей доле такта. 7. Психоделическая музыка пытается воссоздать ощущения, вызываемые наркотиками, она часто описывает сны и видения, отличается длинными инструментальными соло и электронными эффектами. 8. Для панк-рока характерен быстрый темп, его инструментальное сопровождение – ударные, электрогитары и бас-гитара, а вокал обычно имеет носовую или горловую окраску звука. 9. Типичные джазовые инструменты включают саксофон, трубу, фортепиано, гитары, ударные и вокал.
10. Блюз возник из спиричуэлов и характеризуется моделью, состоящей из фразы и отклик в музыке и стихах. 11.
Когда я в плохом настроении, я предпочитаю слушать джаз, поскольку это тип музыки, который наполняет энергией и силой, он представляет собой великолепное сочетание инструментальных мелодий и голоса.
1. There is a traditional subdivision of music into classical, folk and pop music; young people normally listen to different styles of popular music including rock music, hip hop, rhythm and blues, jazz and so on. 2. The genre of rock features vocals, electric guitars, a bass guitar and a strong back beat; it emerged in the USA in the 1950s. 3. Hip hop, often referred to as rap music is made of rapping and Djing and was initiated by city youth.
4. Rappers usually tell semi-autobiographic tales in a rhythmic lyrical form using rhyme, they are accompanied by an instrumental track and a beat performed by a DJ, often other sounds are synthesized or performed. 5. Rhythm and blues is the modern version of soul and funk, was influenced by African American pop music. 6. Country music has roots in traditional folk music, reggae is based upon a rhythm style characterized by regular chops on the back beat, played by a bass guitarist and a drum hitting on the third beat of each measure. 7. Psychedelic music attempts to replicate the experience of drugs, it often describes dreams and visions, has lengthy instrumental solos, and electronic effects. 8. Punk rock has fast tempos, its instrumentation includes drums, electric guitars, an electric bass, and vocals are usually nasal or throaty.
9. Typical jazz instruments are a saxophone, a trumpet, a trombone, a piano, guitars, drums, and vocals. 10. Blues appeared from spirituals and is characterized by call-and-response patterns in music and lyrics.
11. When I feel depressed, I prefer to listen to jazz, as it is the kind of music which has a powerful rhythm filling you with energy and strength, it provides a brilliant combination of instrumental tunes and voice.
Из пособия “ЕГЭ. Английский язык. Устные темы” Занина Е. Л. (2010, 272с.) – Part one.
English examination topics. Forms 9/11.