Hong kong travel faq

Question: When is the best time to visit Hong Kong?
Answer: Hong Kong is an all-year-round destination. It enjoys a mild climate from the middle of September to the end of February, while the weather from May to mid-September can be hot and humid. About 80% of Hong Kong’s rainfall occurs between May and September, with August usually the wettest month. For detailed weather information, please visit the Hong Kong Observatory website.

Question: Do I need a visa to visit Hong Kong?
Answer: Visitors from most countries can enter Hong Kong without a visa for periods of seven days to 180 days, depending on nationality. You may check with the Hong Kong Immigration Department for details of visa requirements.

Question: Where is the best area to stay?
Answer: Hong Kong is very compact, so visitors are never too far from shopping areas and major attractions. Getting around is simple, with relatively cheap public transport easily accessible wherever you stay. Most hotels are located close to the harbour in Central, Wan Chai, Causeway Bay and North Point on Hong Kong Island and in Tsim Sha Tsui, Tsim Sha Tsui East and Hung Hom in Kowloon, plus the busy areas of Yau Ma Tei and Mong Kok. There are also a growing number of resort-style hotels in the New Territories that offer relaxing alternatives.

Question: Is local transport easily accessible?
Answer: Hong Kong has an excellent public transport system, with most transportation air-conditioned. Depending on where you are going, you have a choice of MTR, trains, buses, trams, ferries and taxis. The clean and efficient options cover extensive areas of Hong Kong, and have signs in English and Chinese.

Question: Will I be expected to pay tips?
Answer: Most restaurants will levy a 10% service charge but waiters will expect to be given some loose change. Restaurants that don’t add a service charge will expect a 10% tip. However, tipping is left to your discretion.

Bellboys, porters, restroom attendants and taxi drivers are happy to accept loose change.

Question: Will I be able to use my electrical equipment in Hong Kong?
Answer: The standard electrical voltage in HK is 220 volts AC, 50HZ. Most hotel bathrooms also have outlets for 100 volts, but otherwise you will need a transformer for any appliance or electrical equipment. The majority of electrical outlets in Hong Kong take a three-pronged UK-type plug. You can buy an inexpensive adaptor for your equipment when you arrive in Hong Kong.

Question: Where can I get Internet access in Hong Kong?
Answer: Free Wi-Fi service is available at Hong Kong International Airport. There is also free GovWiFi service is in some government buildings including some public libraries. You can access the Internet for free at many coffee shops in town including Tsim Sha Tsui, Central, Wan Chai and Causeway Bay. The service is also available in some MTR stations and the Hong Kong Trade Development Council’s Business InfoCentre. (Check with the Hotel Concierge for a nearby location.) Most hotels have Broadband Internet access.

Question: Is Hong Kong safe for visitors?
Answer: Yes, Hong Kong is one of the safest cities in the world even at night, when people may walk alone with confidence. To ensure your stay is a pleasant one, always take care of your belongings.

Question: Is English widely spoken?
Answer: Yes, particularly in places frequented by visitors. You should have no problem communicating with people in most hotels, shops, restaurants and even some taxis.

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (1 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

Hong kong travel faq