Bedtime story – a story that adults read to children before they go to sleep at
* Can you read me one more bedtime story before I have to go sleep?
Ritual – something that is done repeatedly and in the same way every time
* His morning ritual includes drinking a cup of coffee, eating a banana, and taking
The dog for a walk.
Tap – faucet; the metal thing that water flows through into a sink
* Please turn off the tap while you’re brushing your teeth. It’s wrong to waste
Towel – a soft piece of fabric that absorbs water and helps someone or
Something become dry
* Yuki always uses two towels when she showers: one for her body, and one for
Beat – very tired; exhausted
* After working on the report for 14 hours, I was beat and I wanted to go to sleep.
Undressed – without clothes; not wearing clothes;
* You should always close the bedroom curtains before you get undressed.
Hamper – a container for dirty clothes
* Make sure you do the laundry when the hamper is full.
Pajamas – clothes worn while sleeping
* My cotton pajamas are the most comfortable clothes that I own. I love sleeping
Slippers – soft, warm shoes that are worn only inside the house
* She often puts her slippers in front of the fireplace to warm them before she
Puts them on her feet.
To pull back – to fold back; to move back
* When she heard the doorbell, she quietly pulled back the curtains to see who
Was at the front door.
Covers – the layers of fabric that cover a bed
* Our cat likes to sleep in our bed under the covers, but we don’t allow her to do
To fluff – to make something larger and softer by hitting or brushing it
* I can’t sleep on a hard pillow so I always fluff my pillows at night.
Overhead – on the ceiling; over one’s head
* Overhead lights are good in living rooms and dining rooms, but in bedrooms I
Prefer a small table lamp so that I can read before falling asleep.
To lay down – to put something or oneself in a horizontal (sideways) position
* I laid down the book I had been reading and turned out the lights.
To fall asleep – to begin to sleep
* Drinking a glass of warm milk often helps Jacomo fall asleep at night.
To count sheep – to imagine sheep jumping over a fence and to count them as a
Way of falling asleep
* Do you ever try counting sheep when you have trouble falling asleep?
To nod off – to start to sleep, often without intending or wanting to
* He was so tired that he was nodding off during the meeting. His boss was not
Fast asleep – sleeping soundly; sleeping very well; sleeping and unaware of
Other things happening
* The little boy was fast asleep when they got home and he didn’t wake up as his
Father carried him to bed.